Today marks the beginning of the 100 day countdown to the opening of Breckenridge Ski Resort for the 2016-2017 telemark ski season on Friday, Nov. 11, 2016. And while many may moan at the thought of summer slipping away, snow enthusiasts around the world are daydreaming about the possibilities of powder turns during one of the 164 days of the upcoming season. To join the dreamers, see some of the highlights from last season on Breck’s YouTube channel here.
Located at 9,600’, Breckenridge provides some of the best conditions in North America for telemark skiers. With more than 300 inches of snowfall annually, a calendar filled with vibrant events and a community of passionate locals and visitors, Breckenridge offers the quintessential winter mountain experience.
What’s New at Breck
In the past six seasons, Breckenridge upgraded the Colorado SuperChair (2014), opened more than 500 acres on its newest peak, Peak 6 (2013), reimagined the Peak 8 base area with lodging and restaurants (2010), and much more. The 2016-2017 ski season at Breck will be another milestone for capital improvements.
- New Restaurant, Big Views! Breckenridge Ski Resort will add a brand new, 490-seat restaurant just steps from the Independence SuperChair on Peak 7, one of the resort’s five iconic peaks. The new restaurant will offer a variety of house made options like salads to order and a Mediterranean station, all coupled with dramatic views of beautiful Summit County, Colorado. The restaurant is set to open December 2016 and will highlight the mining history of Breckenridge’s past, as well as cater to skiers who like to play and stay on the terrain of the resort’s north side, including Peak 6.
- The Classic Peak 9 Village Base Area Gets a Facelift Many of the millions of visitors who have skied Breckenridge since the 1970s have entered the resort through the Village base area on Peak 9. Perfectly situated near the south end of Main Street, adjacent to the Village Hotel and the QuickSilver SuperChair, the plaza area will see a new snowmelt system and brick pavers replacing the dated cement surface, making for a more inviting and smoother transition to the snow. The new space will also accommodate signature Breck events throughout the year.
Favorite Events are Back
Breck is renowned for its event lineup in town and at the resort. Here are a few favorites you won’t want to miss this season:
- Lighting of Breckenridge, Race of the Santas kicks off Holiday Season in Breckenridge The Town of Breckenridge “officially” transforms into a holiday scene on Dec. 3 with the Lighting of Breckenridge and Race of the Santas, where runners and walkers don Santa suits and run the length of Main Street to raise funds for a local non-profit. The Handmade Holiday Market in the Breckenridge Arts District offers locally-made artisan gifts as holiday cheer continues all month with Santa visits and a New Year’s Eve celebration.
- Ullr Fest Rocks Breckenridge Jan. 11-14, 2017 For more than 50 years, the Breckenridge community has paid tribute to Ullr (rhymes with cooler), the Norse god of snow. Grab a Viking helmet and join the town-wide snow dance which includes the iconic Main Street parade, Ullr Ice Plunge, (unofficial) world’s longest shot ski and more.
- Spring FeverThe biggest spring skiing party in the Rocky Mountains is back in April 2017. Breckenridge’s elevation – 9,600 feet in town – makes the snow last longer and the bluebird spring days even sweeter. To celebrate, Spring Fever brings a month-long lineup of activities for families, beer drinkers, music lovers, mountaineers and more.
Book Early for the Best Price
It’s best to book lodging at North America’s most popular ski resort early to save money and secure guests’ favorite lodging options. From in-town townhouses or condos just off of Breckenridge Main Street, to slope-side studios or premier hotel accommodations, book by Sept 23, 2016 and get 25 percent off. Learn more at Breckenridge.com/deals.
Season Passes are for Everyone – Purchase by Sept. 5!\The Epic 4-Day, Epic Local Pass and full Epic Pass are on sale for the 2016-2017 season, allowing skiers and snowboarders to save money compared to lift tickets while having a pass to North America’s iconic resorts including Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Arapahoe Basin in Colorado, Park City in Utah, Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood in Lake Tahoe and more. A variety of pass options are available at EpicPass.com and guests must purchase by September 5 for the guaranteed lowest price. Pass holders receive Epic Pass Club benefits and Ski With a Friend tickets on most passes.